This exercise is based on chapter 4 of Fabris.
Equipment: Swords and gloves. Protective gear is optional, as no attacks will be thrown.
Requirements: Basic understanding of footwork and the four primary guards is helpful.
- Have a teacher take an aggressive position just outside measure.
- The student then responds with a counter-posture that defends the line.
- The teacher slowly extends just far enough to determine whether or not the counter-posture was properly formed.
- The teacher changes his position to find a new opening.
- The student mutates his guard accordingly, maintaining the counter-posture.
- [Repeat from step 3.]
Variation 1: Perform the exercise just inside measure. As per Fabris, the student should not move his feet.
Variation 2: Perform the exercise just inside measure. The teacher should step back when changing position. The student should step forward to maintain the distance.