As I was preparing for a Meyer longsword class I happened upon this video titled Longsword Guards of Meyer.
Here is their ochs.
And here is Meyer’s Ochs.
- The right hand is gripping too tight.
- The point is too high.
- The left elbow is too low.
- The left foot is turned the wrong way.
- The left knee isn’t above the ankle.
- The right ankle is rolled rather than being inline with the leg.
- The head is exposed.
- The entire left side of the body is exposed.
- He isn’t looking at his opponent.
The reason I’m bringing this up is that if you asked me a week ago I probably wouldn’t have seen any of that. Especially the bit about the knee not being above the ankle; it took a yoga practitioner to teach me about that one.
The day before yesterday that was pretty my what my ochs looked like. Today I hope to do better.