I’m done making the new core for my longsword sheath. I think I’ve finally got a repeatable process that doesn’t require hand-carving the slot and groove.
Here it is doing a hang test.
And with a quick shake,
Straight to the ground; I couldn’t have hoped for a better fit.
In order to account for the blunt I needed to use three cuts. A blade slot, a schilt slot, and a blunt groove. The original measurements called for the blade and schilt slots to have the same depth, but I had to go back and deepen the schilt later.
I also made sheaths for Rawlings long and short swords and the Pentti short sword. Fortunately they only require a single blade slot so they need a lot less cleanup when I pull them out of the CNC router. If anyone wants the VCarve files for them let me know. Or heck, maybe I’ll make up a batch to sell.