Though not common in the German tradition, routines are a very important learning tool for learning martial arts. Known as an Assault in Italian or Kata in Asian traditions, this serves as both a good workout and a way to memorize the postures, cuts, and other techniques. Note that while many routines are designed meant to be used in actual fights, this particular one focuses on just moving through the guards.
1. Stand at attention with the sword resting on your left shoulder.
2. Pass the right hand across the body and seize the grip close to the quillons.
3. Bring the sword perpendicularly in front of the body with the quillons in line with the mouth.
4. Step back with the right foot while raising the sword into Tag (High or Day).
5. Turn out the right foot while winding the sword into Zornhut (Wrath Guard).
6. Pass forward the right foot while cutting a Zornhauw through Langort (Longpoint) into Left Wechsel (Changer).
7. Pass forward the left foot while slashing with the short edge through Langort into Right Ochs (Ox).
8. Passing back, throw an Underhauw through Left Ochs into Einhorn (Unicorn).
9. Passing back again, throw an Underhauw through Right Ochs into Einhorn.
10. Lower the sword into Schlussel (Key).
11. Pass forward the right foot while thrusting into Gerade Veratzung (Straight Parrying).
12. Pass back the right foot into Eisenport (Irongate) with the pommel to your left and the arms uncrossed.
13. Pass forward the right foot with a Mittlehauw through Langort into Left Mittelhut (Middle Guard).
14. Pass forward the left foot with a Mittlehauw through Langort into Right Mittelhut.
15. Pass forward the right foot while cutting an Oberhauw into Olber.
16. Pass back the right foot while drawing the sword up into Nebenhut (Side Guard) on the left side.
17. Pass forward the right foot while cutting into Right Pflug (Plow).
18. Gather back the right foot to the left while extending the arms into Hangetort (Hanging Point).
19. Push forward the right foot while crossing the arms into Schrankhut (Crossed Guard).
20. Pass forward the left foot forward while slashing into Langort (Longpoint).
21. Pass back the left foot while winding the sword Right Nebenhut.
22. Pass forward the left foot forward while cutting into Left Pflug.
23. Pass forward the right foot while slashing into Tag.
24. Turn out the left foot while winding into Left Zornhut.
25. Draw back the right foot while returning the sword to the left shoulder.