Pendulum Pell mk. 2

The second version of my pendulum pell has a smaller steel ball. I also used a piece of water pipe instead of fence post. The problem with the fence post is that it is galvanized, making impossible to weld safely.

For the holes I went with a 1/4” drill bit. Over-sizing the holes wasn’t necessary, as the pipe reamer added any necessary clearance.

The welds aren’t great, but thus far they seem to be holding up much better than the epoxy I used in the previous version.

image

The candle plate I used for a cap was hard to accurately drill and slipped either further during welding. Next time I think I’m just going to use a screw-on pipe fitting, which should reduce the first problem and eliminate the second.

Another problem is attacking the thrusting ring to the bottom. Binding wire is too weak and even the largest split-ring I could find is too easily bent out of shape. For the next version I should try getting some 1/8” rod, looping it into a small circle, and weld it closed.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Crafts and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s